Saturday, August 17, 2013

The Calling

I am sorry for leaving you with a cliffhanger and not adequately introducing the hero's journey. Let's jump in.

Marc uses the hero's journey as a way to explore ourselves. Too often we get stuck in the same routine and the same habits that we lose site of our purpose for waking up each day; we even lose sight of our life's purpose. The goal of this journey is to drop our usual habits and assumptions, what Marc calls our our "fixed story," so that we can move along a path towards effectiveness and happiness.

Marc borrows this idea from a mythologist that examined stories from every culture and time period in history and noticed trends among all of them. Three of the main ideas can be summed up by a journey of a hero. Imagine our hero, living comfortably in his home with his family, who is called to leave for some purpose. Our hero enters the unknown and enters trials and tribulations through which he is challenged. This journey finally concludes with him returning home transformed with the knowledge and wisdom from his experiences.

Marc recommends breaking these down into the steps that I mentioned earlier to define our purpose. So let's begin with step one - the calling.

Step 1 - The Calling



What is it that you are called to do? What is your purpose on this planet? What is your noble calling at home, at work, in relationships, and on your spiritual path? The hero doesn't leave his comfortable home for a reason, there must be a calling. Here are some of my thoughts on what makes me leave home and what makes me want to be a better person.

  • I want to be a more proactive leader.
  • I want to be more confident.
  • I want to speak up more in important situations.
  • I desire to make the areas and people in my life match with my life balance.
  • I want to be more relaxed.
  • I want to develop mindfulness.
  • I want to develop a strong technical background.
  • I want to make an impact in the world.
  • I want to teach others.
What are some of your thoughts on your calling? I'm sure that I have much more, but I can't get them all out at once. Our next step is to take notes each day on our thoughts of these callings and how they relate to the events in our lives. I am interested to hear what you guys think. Stay tuned for my notes, as well as the subsequent steps to create our journey, together!

As always, I would love your feedback on my blog. I'm just getting started and love to hear what could use improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment