Friday, August 16, 2013

Conceiving my hero's journey

Welcome to my blog!

What is this you might ask? Well, I have always appreciated reading other blogs, especially when they use them to stay accountable or publish new thoughts. A shout goes out to my brother Jason and my sister-in-law Brittany. I really appreciate that Jason wants to write more so that he can get better at it. I feel the same, but have always been too scared to start. I love that Brittany keeps up with her blog, as it gives me insight into her life and the things that she is going through. This leads into this blog!

Why we're here...

I have been reading a new book titled Know Yourself, Forget Yourself by Marc Lesser. 



The subtitle of the book is "Five truths to transform your work, relationships, and everyday life." I have read about a quarter of the book, but I have already gone through chills, euphoria, and tears in my reading. 

As part of the book, there are exercises that he recommends to do to help follow along and improve yourself. Of course, I have always put these off, deciding to do them later. Perhaps when I re-read the book. Uh-huh, yea right. As I was reading last night on my flight back from Detroit to Dallas, I noticed that I was not reading this book as much as I was when I started. My hesitation comes from the fact that I know I am tackling the book with half-effort, and now I am starting to put off reading the book because I feel bad that I'm not doing all of the activities that I should. Taking Jason's cliff jumping mentality (start leaning over the edge and you can't go back), I pulled out my laptop and started writing. 

In order to make myself more accountable, I am starting this blog to document my work through my book. My goals are to continue the blog so that my family can keep up to date with my life, but also so you can hopefully learn as I do.

Step One

To step right in, I'm going to let this flow so as to get my writing down. I apologize if it isn't perfect, I am trying to work on reducing perfectionism so I can tackle and accomplish tasks (yes, this blog is working already)!

Let's start off in the book with something called: Conceiving your hero's journey. By engaging in the process of creating a hero's journey, the purpose is to feel clearer about each days mission and your life's mission. The stages to creating this story, or journey are:
  1. The calling
  2. Refusing the call
  3. Guides
  4. Trials
  5. Power
  6. Integration
  7. Returning Home
I'll document my thinking as I go through each of these steps with you in additional blog posts. Thanks for reading!




1 comment:

  1. Excellent. I will follow to try and see what you and your beautiful bride are up to.

    ReplyDelete